Fundamentals of the Blaine test
In the Blaine permeability test, an amount of cement is introduced into a cylindrical cell, where it is compressed to a fixed volume, then passing a defined volume of air through the compacted cement.
The resistance to this air flow is inversely proportional to particle size, the larger the particles more gaps are created through which air can flow. Therefore, a finer cement exerts more resistance to air flow than a course cement. Through an experimental formula (Blaine method) can make an estimate of the surface area, which will be greater the finer the cement is.
Advantages of IBERTEST AUTOBLAINE PREMIUM for the Blaine permeability tests of cements.
The results of the IBERTEST AUTOBLAINE Premium equipment surpass those of the manual method in accuracy, precision and repeatability, since the errors in time measurements are much lower. The reading resolution of the flow time is 0.01 s (100 times better than that required by the standard).
AUTOBLAINE PREMIUM equipment meets the validation requirements of automatic methods for the determination of Blaine fineness, and described in the ASTM C 204-07 standard, chapter 12
The equipment should be verified using a standard cement of known specific surface, such as NIST standard cement. To obtain optimal results the test should be carried out in a room with controlled temperature.
Advantages of the AUTOBLAINE PREMIUM for users and laboratories of testing cements, mortars and other materials.
The operation of the AUTOBLAINE PREMIUM is completely automatic in terms of:
- Integration with analytical balance that offers a direct measurement of the mass in the equipment, as well as the automatic calculation of the difference between the necessary weight calculated by the equipment and the current one.
- Ergonomic display of tests and their results on screen.
- Very intuitive renewed interface using a 7 ”resistive touch screen with IP65 waterproofing protection.
- Device validation, the equipment meets the validation requirements for automatic methods for the determination of Blaine fineness (ASTM C204 standard).
- Greater accuracy and precision, compared to the manual method, since errors in time measurements are much lower.
- Greater repeatability in the obtained results, by eliminating the measurement uncertainty due to the human factor.
- 2 Access levels, user and administrator (password protected).
- Removable drawer for storage of accessories and consumables.
NEW MODERN AND INTUITIVE INTERFACE
The AUTOBLAINE PREMIUM device incorporates a renewed interface which which provides the user an improved
experience in terms of:
- Simplicity and intuitivity, thanks to the new design of the buttons and menus
which provides the user a faster operation and quick access to all functions.
- Modern design, ergonomic and attractive.
- Display of menus and results, thanks to the new 7” screen with dust and splash resistance.
On-screen assistant for conducting tests, including specific protocols for conducting the test according to EN 196-6 or ASTM C 204.
The wizard shows the weight of cement to introduce into the cell depending on the density, desired porosity and selected Blaine cell. In case of purchasing the equipment with the communication option with the balance, the equipment will help during the weighing process, controlling the balance and displaying the remaining weight on the screen.
For calibration it is recommended to use a primary standard, such as the Standard Reference Material (Portland cement with certified specific surface), but other standards from the laboratory can be used. The equipment stores the data of up to 5 different standard cements.
The equipment temperature probe is also adjustable (by password) to calibrate with respect to a certified external thermometer.
Up to 20 different types of cement can be entered and specific calculations can be made for each of them, varying parameters such as density, porosity of the compacted layer, etc.
Up to 5 permeability cells can be registered, assigning a name for their identification and indicating the volume (in cm3) of the compacted cement layer. This data is obtained by calibrating the cell according to the method indicated in the standard or using the value indicated in the verification certificate.
IBERTEST has permeability cells verified according to the standard. Likewise, we offer you our permeability cell re-calibration service.
The equipment has internal memory to store up to 1000 tests.
The complete tests stored in the memory of the equipment can be exported, through a USB 2.0 connection, to a computer, where they can be analyzed using the Microsoft Excel program.
- Selectable languages: Spanish, English and French (others on request).
- STANDARD SUPPLY:
- Stainless steel Blaine cell, with plunger and perforated disc and certificate of volume as per EN 196-6a nd ASTM C204.
- Support made in stainless steel, to keep the cell in vertical position and to facilitate the introduction of the cement specimen.
- Extractor for the permeability cell (to extract the tested cement and the perforated disc).
- Manometric liquid. 50 mL.
- Paper filters Ø 12,7 mm. 1000 pcs. Filtration grade medium.
- Clamps for handling filters discs.
- Stainless steel spatula with curved double ends.
- Brush and paintbrush cleaning.
- Stylus (provided with LED flashlight and pen)
- Plastic funnel for filling the cell.
- Rubber stopper for leak testing.
- Pasteur plastic pipette.
- Syringe and suction tube for manometric liquid.
- Reference Portland Cement. 3 units x 5 g.
- Calibration certificate IBERTEST with NIST standard Portland cement.
- ACCESORIES AND SPARE PARTS
- Standard Material Reference 114q. Reference Portland Cement. Box of 20 x 5 g flasks. Ref. 210-101160
- Célula de permeabilidad, con émbolo y disco perforado. Ref. 210-103564
- Verification of Blaine cell volume. Performed by the IBERTEST Metrology Laboratory. Certificate according to
EN 196-6 and ASTM C204 included. Ref. 510-100015
- Manometric tube. Ref. 210-100018
- Filter paper discs. Ø 12,7 mm. Box of 1000 units. Ref. 210-100464.
- Manometer liquid. 50 mL flask. Ref. 210-100154