Fundamentals of the Blaine test
In the Blaine permeability test, an amount of cement is introduced into a cylindrical cell, where it is compressed to a fixed volume, then passing a defined volume of air through the compacted cement.
The resistance to this air flow is inversely proportional to particle size, the larger the particles more gaps are created through which air can flow. Therefore, a finer cement exerts more resistance to air flow than a course cement. Through an experimental formula ( Blaine method ) can make an estimate of the surface area, which will be greater the finer the cement is.
Advantages of IBERTEST AUTOBLAINE PLUS for the Blaine permeability tests of cements.
- The PLUS AUTOBLAINE performance results surpass the accuracy, precision and repeatability of the manual method, since errors in the measurements of time are much lower. The resolution of flow time reading is 0.01 s (100 times better than required by the standard) .
- AUTOBLAINE PLUS meets validation requirements required of automatic methods for determining the fineness Blaine as described in ASTM C 204-07 chapter 12 .
- The equipment should be calibrated using a cement known specific surface pattern , such as the NIST standard cement 114Q. For best results the test should be performed in a temperature-controlled room.
The operation of AUTOBLAINE PLUS is automatic regarding:
- Automatic calibration with calculation of the K equipment-constant.
- Execution of test: aspiration of fluid into the manometer and accurate measurement of the pass time of the liquid between marks.
- Displaying, in real time, time, temperature, constant K and step time readings between marks.
- Performing of all calculations, showing the results on the screen.
- Storage of test results.
Advantages of the AUTOBLAINE PLUS for users and laboratories of testing cements, mortars and other materials.
- 5,7 ” touch screen
- On screen wizard for conducting the tests, including specific protocols for test carried according to EN 196-6 or ASTM C 204.
- The wizard displays the weight of cement to be introduced into the cell, calculated as a function of the cement density, the porosity of the compacted layer and the volumen of the selected Blaine cell.
- For calibration is recommended to use a primary standard, such as 114Q Standard Reference Material ( Portland cement with certified value of the surface area), but other secondary reference cements can be used on your own lab. The memory of the apparatus stores the data for up to 5 different standard cements.
- The temperature probe measurement is also adjustable (via password) to calibrate respect to an external certificate thermometer.
- Can enter up to 20 different types of cement and calculations specific to each , by varying parameters such as density, porosity of the compacted layer, etc.
- You can enter up to 5 Blaine cells, identifying each cell with a name, and indicate the volume (in cm3) of compacted cement layer for each cell. This information is obtained by calibrating the cell according to the method described in the standard or using the value specified in the IBERTEST certificate of verification.
- The IBERTEST Blaine cells have been verified according to standard. Also, we offer our service of re-calibration of your Blaine cells.
- The AUTOBLAINE PLUS has internal memory to store up to 1000 tests. The tests stored in the computer’s memory can be exported to a computer (via a USB 2.0 connection), so they can be analyzed by the Microsoft Excel program.
- Selectable operation languages: Spanish, English, French and Portuguese.
- Blaine cell, made of stainless steel, including plunger and perforated disc.
- Blaine cell support, made of stainless steel, to keep the cell in a vertical position and facilitate the introduction of the cement sample.
- Extractor rod, to extract the perforated disc and the sample after tested.
- Manometrid liquid (light oil). Bottle of 50 mL.
- Filter paper discs Ø 12,7 mm, degree of filtration medium. Box of 1000 pcs.
- Clamp for grabbing the filters discs.
- Stainless-steel double spatula with flat curved ends
- Plastic funnel to fill the cell.
- Brush and cleaning brush
- Rubber plug for tightness testing.
- Pasteur plastic pipette for filling the tube.
- 3 vials of 114Q Standard Reference Material. Portland cement specific surface with NIST certificate.
Accessories and spare parts
- 114Q Standard Reference Material. Portland cement specific surface with NIST certificate. Box of 20 vials. Ref 210-101160
- Blaine Cell, with plunger and perforated disc. Ref 210-103564
- Verification of Blaine cell volume. Issued by IBERTEST metrology laboratory according to EN 196-6 procedure. With internal verification certificate. Ref 510-100015
- Filter paper discs Ø 12,7 mm, degree of filtration medium. Box of 1000 pcs. Ref. 210-100464
- Manometric tube. Ref 210-100018
- Manometrid liquid (light oil). Bottle of 50 mL. Ref. 210-100154